Feb 11, 2008

spring's coming!

27th jan (Sunday)
Went for a coaching session at schloss today. Coach wasn’t exactly very helpful since she didnt tell me many things which I didn’t already know. I guess in a way i do know where my life is leading to, at least for the next few years, just not the specifics maybe? I’ll be graduating in less den a year’s time, so I think I’m just gonna take everything into my stride and take that leap of faith when the occasion arises. Anyway, since when has anything in my life been predictable?

28th jan (Monday)
Did i say “class” finally? Haha! Had my 1st official class (intensive german not included) today. And what a let-down. The professor was totally boring, the subject – outrageously dry and the class, 100% exchange students. I fervently hope for tomorrow’s class to be more exciting than this.

29th jan (Tuesday)
Strategic Value Chain Managament was great! The professor was witty, spoke good English and actually had a sense of humor (yeps! Germans do!) the subject wasn’t exactly very stimulating, but im not complaining. I shall take this as a good learning experience since I don’t think I’ll ever dabble with anything related to operations management ever anyway.

sandra's bf - ronnie, was in town to visit, and she invited us for dinner with them, which was really sweet. the restaurant serves really good pizza (i had pasta) and the ambience was great (:









Dinner was great but the company was even better!

30th jan (Wednesday)
German class was extended today to give us time to prepare for our class presentation next week. Topic given: Mein Land. So everyone basically had to talk about their home country, in german, for a good 5-10mins. So we basically whiled our afternoon away in the computer lab, researching on stuff we can say abt our small teeny weeny island. But did u know that:

- Singapore is one of the top 20 smallest countries in the world (duh!)
- Singapore is the largest exporter of ornamental fish in the world (25% of world market) – which means:
o either the world market for ornamental fishes is really small
o I gotta marry the son of the Qianhu boss
- Bukit Timah Nature Reserve contains more species of trees than the entire North American continent. Hmmm..

Natalie and Mathilde made crepes for dinner and invited their buddies over. Natalie’s buddy (20 year old guy who looks at least 25) actually wants to come to smu for exchange next year!!! So he was asking us all about it. (oir wld have been proud of us!)

There was a tauschies-buddy party (where all exchange students will finally get to meet their buddies, EXCEPT FOR ME) at a local bar that night. Have already given up hopes of getting a buddy coz no one has contacted me. Its sucks coz everyone was talking about how nice their buddies are :/ but oh well, I guess I’ll survive. haha







31st jan (Thursday)
I skipped class today! And it was for a valid reason! Went exploring on bikes today and we bumped into a bunch of witches on the streets of eltville.



turns out that today is the Weiberfastnacht:

"Weiberfastnacht (women’s carnival night) is the Thursday before Rosenmontag, and it is tradition that women are allowed to cut off the tie of any man within reach, and to kiss any man they want to. Women going out that night to pubs take scissors with them."


(1) spring's coming! (2) random kirche (3) riesling from rheinagu (4) weiberfastnacht!

Micha, one of the men dressed up as witches kindly invited us to have lunch with them at one of the oldest restaurants in eltville. The afternoon was spent in the restaurant, drinking the really good reisling (fine wine from rheingau) and it was interesting how even though I couldn’t understand ¾ of the conversation between the germans, I enjoyed my afternoon thoroughly. I think it was just about being there, chatting with the locals, doing silly things, drinking Riesling and not having a care in the world.


us with the mayor!


our new fren - micha


crazy afternoon with a bunch of lovely germans!


outside the old restuarant with our riesling!

Micha then brought us to the castle nearby (where he got married!) and showed us around the neighbourhood. Adventure ended with a visit to his aunt's place.






castle in eltville!





cozy kitchen!


cycling along the rhein



1st feb (Friday)
After german class, we didn’t want to waste the nice weather out there, so we headed to mainz hoping to catch a glimpse of pre-karneval action. Party starts at 6.16pm, but we didn’t feel like staying, so we just walked around abit. Went in search of a Chinese supermarket to find the elusive thai fragrant rice which the guys were craving for so badly.

Rice is expensive. Its 10 euros for 10kg of rice. I dunno how much it costs in Singapore, but I just know that 20 SGD for rice is expensive. And if we were to buy the 10kg one, how in the world are we supposed to lug it back home? so we opted for the smaller packs in the end. Not any cheaper, but definitely more portable.

2nd feb (Sat)
Went for the exebs scholarship interview today. It’s a new initiative the ebs alumni came up with this year, for the exchange students from developing countries. recipients will be entitled to 250 euros per month, for 5 months, and an one time welcome amount of 60 euros. Didn’t really think much about it coz im never really the scholarship sort anyway. Just really wanted to go in and be sincere and hopefully get lucky.

And I guess I really did get lucky - tho part of be fervently wants to attribute my success to my own credit (haha!) – but anyways, I got the scholarship! So yes! I think that extra cash will go a long way in helping me lessen the financial load when I get back to spore (:

After the interview, huifen and I headed to Wiesbaden to join the rest. Was kinda disappointed to know that we have missed the parade, but oh wells, the day was still a great one when we had dinner at a nice posh restaurant which wasn’t expensive at all!





















No comments: